Budget Beauty Buys

Monday 8 September 2014

Superdrug Haul


I popped into town today having heard that both a foundation and powder had been added to Collection's hyped Lasting Perfection range (not sure how behind I am on the news of that one though!) I, along with the majority of the beauty community, absolutely love the concealer, not just for its quality but more importantly for its shade; I have the colour 1 Fair and it's one of the few drugstore concealers that's light enough to actually offer some highlight under my eyes rather than an orange toned shadowy effect. I had high expectations that the shades would be similar in the other products but after swatching the foundations in Superdrug I barely found a difference between shades 1-4 and would categorise them all as for more medium skin tones. However, having come with £10 in  my pocket and prepared to treat myself I couldn't resist picking up a couple of bargains.

Both products are from Rimmel which I would consider now one of the higher priced drugstore makeup brands. I usually associate Collection, MUA, Makeup Revolution etc with bargain products as Rimmel, Revlon and L'Oreal are definitely pushing it now with one item sometimes reaching around the £10 mark. However both Brow This Way and the Exaggerate Waterproof Eyeliner were reduced from £3.99 to £2.99. On top of that there was a buy 1 get 1 half price across the whole Rimmel range meaning as opposed to paying £7.98, the total instead came to £4.50 which I was pretty chuffed about!


I picked up Brow This Way in the colour medium blonde (called mid brown on the website), however I did find the choices hard to pick between. Whilst I have brown hair, the shades are clear, blonde, medium blonde and dark brown so I did feel there was a perhaps slight gap in the middle as the dark brown was verging on black. I wanted to try it out as a cheaper alternative to Benefit's Gimme Brow and plan on doing a full review once I've used it for a while.


My other purchase was fairly standard; simply a black pencil liner. However, I haven't properly tried using one since old dance show days when I'd had very little practice with makeup and thought the more I looked like a panda the better as it meant I would at least show up on stage (I think I've been put off ever since.) The Rimmel Exaggerate Eyeliner is a retractable pencil design with a built in smudger and sharpener; certainly a bit more advanced that the basic pencil style I used to drop accidentally and manage to break all the way through. Hopefully I'll get on with it but even I don't I'm not particularly worried since it didn't exactly break the bank!

Overall, what started in disappointment all turned out to be pretty good and there's nothing like the excitement of new makeup in your stash! Have you picked up any bargains lately?
Lara xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric